FAIR TRADE is a way of conducting business based on economic and social justice. It is a dynamic movement, a consciousness and the hope for a just and sustainable world.
At Kizuri, we delight in bringing you quality items that represent the cultural richness of over 40 countries. Additionally, we maintain a deep commitment to the artisans who have handcrafted these items.
Through the sale of their goods, disadvantaged artisans are provided the opportunities to educate and care for their families and to grow their businesses with dignity.
As consumers living in a globalized economy, your purchases matter! The simple choices that we make each and every day have a profound impact on our planet and people all over the world.
Fair Trade strives to make that impact positive and socially just for all.
Kizuri and our suppliers follow 9 Fair Trade principles from the Fair Trade Federation:
- Create opportunities for economically and socially marginalized producers. Fair Trade creates partnerships with disadvantaged artisans in developing countries. Through these partnerships, artisans have the resources to care for their families and to pursue opportunities for education, community development and the sustainable growth of their businesses. As a strategy for poverty alleviation and sustainable development, producers set their prices – not large corporations.
- Develop transparent and accountable relationships. Our relationships with you, our suppliers and our producers are open, fair and respectful. Fair Trade ensures transparent trade terms throughout the supply chain. Finances, management policies and business practices are transparent and open to public accountability.
- Build capacity. Long term, respectful trading relationships empower individuals to move more confidently into their futures and create sustainable change within their culture at the grassroots level.
- Promote Fair Trade. Sharing information, artisan stories and networking is done through social media, community presentations and a visit to Kizuri!
- Pay promptly and fairly. Fair Trade operates within a framework of worker compensation reflecting the true costs of labor, time, materials and sustainable growth. Often times, producers receive pre production (or pre harvest) advance pay.
- Support safe and empowering working conditions. Members cultivate safe and healthy workplaces and empower workers to participate in decision making policies. Elimination of all forms of discrimination is a foundation of Fair Trade principles.
- Ensure the rights of children. Children have the right to security, education and play. The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child is supported by Fair Trade members as well as local, regional and national child labor laws.
- Cultivate environmental stewardship. Fair Trade supports sustainable practices of reducing, reusing, reclaiming and recycling our world resources. A growing variety of Fair Trade products come from recycled materials and reclaimed wood.
- Respect cultural identity. Through long term respectful business relationships, artisans develop the skills needed to succeed in the global marketplace while honoring the age old traditions of their cultures.
“I have the audacity to believe that people everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, quality, and freedom for their spirits. I believe that what self centered men have torn down, other centered men can build up.”
– Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.